Cranberry Ribbon Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour or use a baking spray 1 bundt or tube pan. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, butter, vanilla and sugar until well mixed. Slowly add in yogurt. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and a dash of salt.
- Slowly incorporate into the yogurt batter. Mix thoroughly.
- It might not look like you have enough batter to fill the pan, but you do. It is not a super tall cake, but it will rise and have a great texture, I promise. Spoon 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth with the back of a spatula.
- Carefully spoon the cranberry sauce to form a ring around the middle of the pan, without touching the middle or sides. Top with the remaining batter and smooth with the back of a spatula. Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan about 5 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack. Slice and eat.
I have been wanting to come up with something that used leftover cranberry sauce for years and every year, I end up either eating or throwing out any leftovers I have. This year I swore I’d actually do it. I had several ideas (cranberry swirl ice cream? some sort of cranberry fudge?) but ended up making this truly addictive cake. At first I had planned to make my recipe for sour cream cake and swirl some cranberry sauce through, but we only had a tiny dab of sour cream so I had to come up with something totally new. I am so glad I did! The yogurt gives it a light tang and and the cranberry sauce formed a beautiful red ribbon of tart flavor. It is so so good: moist, tender, and slightly tart. I am eating a piece and swooning as I type. I am swooning, people! Swooning! If you have any cranberry sauce left in the fridge go and make this cake right now. Go! Bake!