- Color is not always an indicator of ripeness. Some mangos stay green even when ripe while others may ripen into various shades of red, pink and yellow.
- Choose one that is plump and heavy for its size.
- Hold it up to your nose. It should smell fragrant.
- Press the skin with your thumb. It should give slightly.
- Mangos should not be mushy.
- Refrigeration stops most mangos from ripening, so if you have an unripe mango, ripen it on the counter before refrigerating.
Green (unripe) mangos are tasty too! Use them in salads, curries and to make pickles.