Moist, delicious carrot muffins with a spicy hit of ginger and a touch of coconut.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2-3 tablespoons minced candied (crystallized) ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot
- Preheat oven to 350. Line or grease and flour 12 wells in a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix (using a mixer or a big spoon) all ingredients together until a thick batter forms. Divide evenly among the wells in the muffin tin. Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the center muffin comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack.
We oddly ended up with a huge amount of carrots. I bought some back in March and we honestly don’t eat that many carrots and they last forever. Then our produce box started up again and we ended up with about a pound of carrots a week (not much is in season here). Then my brother bought my parents a five lb bag of carrots at Costco. We aren’t seeing them right now because of the coronavirus but my husband did a quick trip up to their house to leave some magazines for my mom and to pick up some Easter presents and a birthday present for my husband they left on the porch. They also left us a pound of carrots. So many carrots! So so many carrots. I still have a couple pounds left.
I’m still making muffins each week for Matt’s breakfast so I had him grate the really old carrots first (they were still fine! just a little sad looking) then some mega-carrots we got in our produce delivery last night so I could make muffins today after lunch. I had added shredded coconut to our produce delivery a couple of weeks ago and I had the ends of a package of candied ginger so why not toss it in? I love carrots and ginger together and coconut goes well with both. The result was a super moist muffin with a ton of flavor. No bland muffins here!