Blueberry, Coconut & Lime Muffins
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1- pint blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Line or grease and flour 16 wells in a muffin tin(s). Set aside
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the milk, egg, oil, zest, juice, and sugar. Beat in the flour, coconut and baking powder until well-combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the wells in the muffin tins. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the center muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, remove to wire rack to fully cool.
- Unsweetened coconut is sometimes labeled desiccated coconut, especially in health food stores.
- Blueberries are just coming into season here--but you can use frozen blueberries straight from the freezer for this.
I know. Another muffin recipe! I am starting to feel like I am spoiling my husband by making all of these muffins. I don’t really eat breakfast so he’s basically the only one benefiting from weeks of muffin making. I did eat one and a half of these because if I am going to eat a muffin this is the kind I like–a lighter texture and free of nuts.
I figured out a long time ago when I made this fantastic jam that blueberries and limes are great together. Blueberries are so sweet, they can do with a bit of tartness, similar to how people like to pair strawberries and rhubarb. I added the coconut because, why not. I came up with the name for the blog many many years ago when I still had to explain what blogging was and never thought I’d be here SIXTEEN years later still posting recipes. It really is a good combination of flavors though. In this case, it adds some flavor, texture interest, and fiber to the muffins without taking away from the fluffy texture.
Blueberries are just coming into season here–I bought these locally grown blueberries at Aldi of all places for like $1.50–but you can use frozen blueberries straight from the freezer for this.