Berliner Kartoffelsalat (Creamy German Potato Salad)
The creamy German potato salad you didn't know you were missing.
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 tablespoon dill relish or German-style sweet and sour pickles, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 sweet-tart apple, diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot, boil the potatoes until fork-tender.
Meanwhile, stir together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl until the sugar has dissolved and the apple and onion are well coated. Set aside.
Drain the potatoes and allow to them cool slightly.
Add to the bowl and toss to evenly distribute all ingredients.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour prior to serving but preferably 3-4 hours or overnight.