Sauerkraut Soup with Beets & Beef
A hearty borscht-like soup with sauerkraut and beef.
for the soup:
- 2 lb roasted beets
- 24 oz jar sauerkraut
- 1/4 small cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 lb stew meat
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Place all ingredients in a 4 or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir.
Cook on low 8-10 hrs. Stir. Serve hot, garnished with sour cream.
- If using canned or bagged sauerkraut, you may need to drain or rinse it. I find that jarred sauerkraut is fairly dry and less salty. I used the German-style from Aldi.
- Want extra credit? Make your own sauerkraut and use that instead of prepared.
- I used a mix of Chioggia and red beets but any beet would work! The redder the beet, the redder the soup.
- I roasted my beets using this method the day before and refrigerated them overnight but pre-cooked beets (like Love Beets--I buy these at Costco in bulk, they have amazing expiration dates and are vacuumed sealed) work well too.