Cheesy Zucchini & Chive Bake
Cheddar and zucchini are a classic combination. Here they are given a fresh sprinkle of chives and some smoky flavors.
- 2 lb about 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch thick half-moons
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 7 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup butter round cracker crumbs aka Ritz
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
Steam the zucchini until just tender* Drain (if needed) and allow to cool.
Place the zucchini in the prepared pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, chives, milk, and spices Stir in the onions and cheese. Pour over the zucchini.
Sprinkle the top with Ritz crumbs. Bake 35 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
I used a steamer pot like this one and steamed them for roughly 4 minutes.