Tomato Sandwich Bake
Like a classic tomato sandwich but baked, with cheese.
- 5 cups sliced sandwich bread, coarsely cubed
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 4 oz Graviera Kritis PDO cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons green goddess herb mix or Italian or Greek seasoning (to taste!)
Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
Heat some oil in a large skillet., brown the cubes on all sides. Remove to the prepared dish. Add the garlic and onion to the pan and sauté until softened. Add the tomatoes and seasonings and cook until the tomatoes soften and release their juices. Pour over the bread cubes in the pan and stir to evenly distribute. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Can use Parmesan instead.
- I used largely yellow tomatoes but any color or variety except a pastier tomato like Roma should be fine.