Maple Herb Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 5 sprigs’ worth fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon lightly crushed caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Form into small, flat patties. Cook in a nonstick skillet, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- Cover briefly if your patties are rather thick to ensure that they cook all the way through.
- Serve immediately.
As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve been trying to really cut down on the frequently of grocery shopping due to the pandemic. I’ve been buying a lot based on expiration date and then having to figure out what to do with it all later. Ground chicken often has the furthest away dates for some reason and is incredibly affordable. Win-win, right? But then I have to figure out what to do with it all. There are only so many burgers one can eat and they require rolls, which unless I am making them myself, can be scarce when it’s been weeks since I last set foot in a store.
The other “project” we’ve been working on the last few months is really perfecting fluffy pancakes. Normally I would just go to the diner but, you know, we don’t want to get sick or die so I’ve diner-less for months. What better thing to go with pancakes than sausage patties? Enter all that ground chicken I had in my fridge.
I think we all know that pork sausages are at the top of the sausage pyramid but chicken sausages can be tasty too! The trick is to really load them up with both fresh and dried herbs and spices.