Cherry-Ginger Cranberry Sauce
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries I used dried Montmorency cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Juice and zest of one large orange
- 1- inch chunk fresh ginger
- Place the all ingredients in a medium saucepan and, stirring occasionally, cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat to reduce and thicken.
- Remove from heat. Fish out and discard the ginger.
- Serve hot or cold.
Can you ever have too many cranberry sauce recipes? I’d like to think not because I have posted a ton over the years and a ton of recipes of what to do with your leftover sauce. When I was making it, I was thinking about how cranberry sauce is really just super chunky jam. Or smooth like jelly. Deep thoughts.
I don’t always love dried fruits (I’m looking at you raisins) but tart dried cherries are pretty plump and add a lot of depth of flavor to dishes like these. It gave the sauce a little extra oompf while keeping the classic texture.