- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- 16 oz “fresh” refrigerated salsa I used Sam’s
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 8x8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl or the bowl of a standmixer, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the butter and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk. Mix until a thick batter forms, stir in the salsa until evenly distributed.
- Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a thin knife inserted in the center comes out with maybe a moist crumb.
- Cool on wire rack, store leftover at room temperature.
This was just a quick little side dish I threw together with some leftover salsa and you know what, it turned out pretty good! I felt like it was best served warm but the leftovers were quickly refreshed in the oven. You can really vary the spice by what salsa you use. I used a fresh, refrigerated salsa but jarred would be fine too. If it is very wet, I’d drain it out a little–you want mostly the chunks.