Hello Spring Bread Pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- zest of one large orange I used a Cara Cara
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 9 cups 1-inch cubed 2 day old bread
- 3-4 tablespoons candied orange peel
- Swedish pearl sugar
- An hour before you want to bake—
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, vanilla, eggs, zest and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the bread cubes and candied orange peel. Cubes should be coated in the milk mixture.
- Allow to soak 1 hour, stirring periodically.
- Meanwhile, butter a 8x8 inch baking dish and preheat oven to 350.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with pearl sugar. Bake for 40 minutes or until it’s golden brown and heated through. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I do not actually love bread pudding but this one was pretty good! Everyone who had it really enjoyed it. I made it using two loaves of bread from my Hello Spring Sweet Bread that was inspired by the Italian Colomba di Pasqua (aka Colomba Pasquale aka Easter Dove Bread). It is really full of orange flavor! The yogurt gives it a little tang and keeps it from being too soggy which is my main bread pudding complaint. I love repurposing leftovers and so rarely get to do it with sweets! In this case, the bread is really the best the day you make it and the recipe yields four small loaves so it is very easy to have leftovers.